As is the case with other areas of health, weight loss and weight management are dependent on many factors. The ability to lose weight is far more complicated than the phrase “eat less, exercise more,” yet this is exactly the phrase many patients hear from their health care provider when they ask about weight loss strategies.
Before effective and lasting weight loss can occur, the conditions or imbalances that caused the weight gain need to be identified. Often, there are multiple hormone imbalances present causing the body to store fuel as fat, along with cellular mechanisms that actually resist the body’s attempt to burn calories.
At Rocky Mountain Comprehensive Health, we look at the whole picture of the patient’s history regarding weight gain. We strive to identify and treat all of the causative factors involved in each patient’s struggle to lose weight. Common reasons for weight gain are:
- Undiagnosed or undertreated hypothyroidism
- Insulin resistance
- Adrenal imbalances of excess cortisol
- Perimenopausal estrogen excess
- Chronic stress
- Disrupted or insufficient sleep
- Food allergies including gluten sensitivities
- Chronic overconsumption of carbohydrates and sugars
- Digestive imbalances/Leptin resistance
- Insufficient caloric intake/chronic dieting
Rocky Mountain Comprehensive Health takes an integrative approach to weight loss, utilizing specific dietary plans, stress and sleep management techniques, effective exercise strategies, as well as appropriate supplements and medications to target each patient’s specific condition. We want to guide our patients into optimal health!